Thursday, December 19, 2013

What is the purpose of fog?

This is a typical question I entertain on a car ride down the mountain. Since I drive over the mountain every day to take my son to preschool, we often encounter a thick fog across the road. Today was one of those days. He's never been a boy who just asks why. It's always a thoughtful question. The question came again today. "Mommy, what is the purpose of fog? "

So I entertained it. On a whim I decided to ask the one who sent the fog. So I asked God, "Lord, what is the purpose for your fog? Would you show us? "

Impatiently, my son commented that God didn't answer. I told him that sometimes to hear from God, it takes patience and learning to be still. So we sat in the stillness for the drive down the mountain. I could see him praying back there. So when we got to the light, I asked him, "what did God tell you? "

Mama, He told me "I love you. "
"This is the first time I have ever heard God speak to me."

(Tears from a Momma.)

Then I said, surprised at my own words, "He spoke to me too. 

'The purpose of the fog is that you are able to see more clearly on the other side of it.' "

Lord, I want to see. In Luke 18 the blind man said it to Jesus. I've been asking the Lord for this too. To see. To see with His eyes. Yet it still comes. The sickness. The dying. The lies entrenching my family. They are drowning. The people I love can barely breathe. And I asked the Lord, why can't I see? I know that you are at work. I trust that you are in control. But why can't I see what you are doing? Why can't I see your rescue?

And then it comes. The purpose of the fog. To see clearly when it is lifted. Maybe in the same way that death (of our old self) must occur in order to birth new life, a veil--a foggy period of uncertainty--may come for a time, to test our response--in order that we might have eyes that truly see. See The Beauty. See The Way. Maybe this is the eye surgery I seek.

http://3babysdion.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-i-need-eye-surgery_21.html?m=1

In the end, it does not matter if we can see what He is doing. Or if we ever understand His reasons on this side of Heaven for why this life is so full of tragedy. We must only trust what we know. We know only that He is good. All the time. And every now and then, just because He loves us, I believe He gives us glimpses into these answers to our many questions ... So that we can see through the fog. So we can see Him through the fog. Like today. When I least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker