Saturday, March 1, 2014

This Christmas is about the GIFT we've already received






Christmas 2013

After reading “Seven” by Jenn Hatmaker and studying Jesus’s constant giving and serving in Matthew (BSF), plus contemplating “no presents for Christmas” – the Ann Voskamp way for a whole year, I’ve had some time to put a different perspective on Christmas. After all, it is the Year of the New Thing (Isaiah 43:19).

We pulled out the Jesse Tree, but we didn’t do an ornament every day. We started homeschooling though over the Christmas break, and we fought our two dragons together with the sword of the Spirit (even though it’s a small lego sword, if it’s of the Spirit it’s greater than the largest sword of man.). He was the “good guy” and I was the enemy. I would pick out a common lie (You don’t have to obey your parents) and he would come up with a Bible truth to dispute that lie. Then I would fall down dead! Typical morning. Mommy's always the bad guy. But I can use it to my advantage! Because one day (probably today) a real BAD GUY is going to whisper in his ears and tell him to disobey and that God is witholding something good from him. My goal is that he is ready.



We played with our elf this year. We’d often find him somewhere new in the morning, which Jacob loved, but sometimes Jasper just plain forgot. Give him a break.

Truth in the Tinsel – well, what  a precious idea. But I didn’t really feel like getting the crafts out. I know, that’s a surprising coming from me. And my advent calendars, I have at least 5. Can’t say that we have “read our devotion” more than a handful of times. But we have talked about The Lord our Banner, as long as Moses hands were lifted they won the battle against the Amalekites. We talked about the bitter water at Marah, and the Spirit of God leading Moses to a tree branch to throw into the water, which then became sweet again. I have to constantly be aware of my tendency to compare myself to the Pinterest  Moms of the world for decorating and hosting and birthday-party favor-making and so on. – I mean I refuse to let Christmas be to me what it became to my Mom. A stress. A dread. A nightmare.



We packed our first family shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, for 3 little boys. And we pray that the destinations of those humble cardboard boxes are God-ordained, that they will write us back one day. We made a Prayer Book and we look at it every morning and pray for specific people. It really helps having their pictures in front of us.

We sent Christmas cards to our adopted kids around the world, in Armenia, Nicaragua, and South Africa. We sent Christmas cards to children whose parents are in prison for their faith in Jesus, through Voice of the Martyrs. We made sponge- painted cards & gave them to our mail carrier, recycle, & garbage collector, along with a jumbo Reese's cup. We bought tennis shoes for the soldiers in Afghanistan. We sold peanut brittle, white chocolate candy, and caramel popcorn to raise money for the Missions Offering --Lottie Moon. We gave gifts to our newest mentee and member of the Project Abundant Life program.




Well today we did something cool. I read about “Be the Gift” on Ann Voskamp’s birthday blog. At church I happened to run across “Light ‘Em Up” ideas and it got me thinking. I could do this. For a few dollars we could get some candy or something…tie the gift tags and voila…a way to bless someone! But where to go? Where is the loneliest place in town? For us it’s been the waiting room of the Surgical trauma ICU at Huntsville Hospital. First waiting on my aunt that cold month of October 2011…waiting for those four 20-mintute visitations every day, then setting up shop in the waiting room for hours. Only to see she had made little progress. There were tears. Hopelessness.

Then waiting for my husband in March of this year. After the gun went off. Waiting as he lay there on the table, a titanium rod would be his new shin. Waiting and scared. With one friend. How grateful I was he decided to skip church that Sunday morning. 

So I had an appointment with my rheumatologist today and I thought it a perfect time for us to distribute our goodies…Mounds bars (MOUNDS of blessings to you!) and cherry candy canes. We prayed for God to show us the right people. Who needed a lift. The first one Jacob passed out was to a man who was very weak in a wheel chair going up the elevator. We saw a Mom from Jacob’s school in the Dr.’s office who was trying to figure out what she had that was making her hurt so badly. She complemented Jacob for the blessing and for the good behavior. She got one too. We found a man downstairs in the waiting room who Jacob sneaked behind and slipped the candy over his shoulder into his lap. This frightened the man so he let out a loud YELL! Oops. Merry Christmas. This is Jacob’s way to bless others.We found a policeman getting lunch in the cafeteria. A receptionist at Daddy's work. A tech at TOC. A patient awaiting modality in therapy. We went into the Hospital chapel and placed several candies on the pews, and one on the pulpet. To bless. In secret. 



Leigh Wilhelm, director of Project Abundant Life, really made me think as she shared with me her family's tradition of only 3 gifts each, like the wise men. And then there's this other thing they do...Secret Giving. To a family in need. How awesome is secret giving! Takes the whole "self glory" problem right out of the picture!

We headed to the ICU waiting room and found several families, one whose sister was having brain surgery (same one Wanda Mullins had 2 days ago! And we have been praying!!). The lady ended up knowing my grandfather, JD and my aunt Cheryl. Another lady was about to go in for surgery to see if her cancer treatment had been working and we got to pray with and for her. Another lady accepted the candy and said she was a Jehovah’s Witness. She told me she didn’t celebrate Christmas but that she wanted me to know that she believed Jesus’s death was essential to our humanity's hope. It was a good day. Being in that room brought back some tears. That was unexpected. But we spread some joy. And it felt good.

So we just had a few presents under the tree this year. And I had family over, but I didn't get out the good China. Not even the tea goblets. We ate around the breakfast room table and had sandwiches and chips & dip. But Christmas is sharing and giving love. And there was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker